Regulatory Registry Alert
The Ministry of Labour has publicized the Industrial Establishments Regulation Amendment Proposal on the Service Ontario website.
Industrial Establishments Regulation Amendment Proposal
The ministry has prepared a consultation paper for public review and comment which highlights the proposed amendments to Regulation 851, which are intended to:
• Update existing requirements regarding guardrails, fall protection, protection against drowning, signallers, eyewash fountains and deluge showers to reflect current workplace practices, processes and technologies;
• Add new requirements for risk assessments and traffic management programs that are similar to recent amendments to Regulation 854 (Mines and Mining Plants);
• Add new requirements for scaffolds and suspended access equipment, similar to existing requirements currently set out in O. Reg. 213/91 (Construction Projects);
• Add new, specific requirements for storage racks and for high visibility safety apparel for signallers to improve worker health and safety and to improve clarity and transparency regarding compliance expectations; and
• Make additional amendments for clarification and to increase alignment between OHSA regulations.
Participation on this consultation can be as an individual or an organization.