Update on Negotiation of 2019-2022 Collective Agreement – Ratification of Collective Agreement
Attention All Members of the Ontario Erectors Association, Incorporated
Ratification of Collective Agreement
On August 26, 2019, the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Ironworkers and Ironworkers District Council of Ontario advised the Ontario Erectors Association, Incorporated that all six (6) locals in Ontario have voted to ratify the tentative collective agreement reached earlier this month.
As a result, the collective bargaining process has successfully concluded and we now have a new Province-wide ICI Collective Agreement in place.
Download a summary of the material changes found in the 2019-2022 collective agreement here: 190826 – Summary of Material Changes to 2019-2022 Ironworkers Provincial ICI Agreement – Including Wages
Note – None of the provisions in the collective agreement are retroactive. All changes (except the changes to the wage package) will come into effect on August 27, 2019. The wage package increase will come into effect on September 1, 2019.
I believe the agreement provides a number of benefits to contractors, including:
- The ability to recall former employees within 90 days of being laid off;
- The ability to name hire 100% of employees on steel erection jobs that are under 500 tons regardless of whether or not the work is in a contractor’s home local;
- The ability to name hire up to the first five (5) employees on new projects over 500 tons;
- The ability to transfer up to the first five (5) employees to jobs outside a contractor’s home local;
- Greater flexibility and longer timelines when employers are processing payments and records of employment for employees following a layoff;
- No increase to commuting, travel or board allowance;
- A wage package increase that is in line with inflation and comparable to increases negotiated by other construction industry trades; and
- No retroactivity to the wage package increase (new wage package rates will come into effect on September 1, 2019).
If you have any questions, please contact me.
President, Ontario Erectors Association, Incorporated