IHSA 2-Minute News August 2017
Having trouble viewing this? Click here for the web version.
- IHSA Safety Talk: Tarping loads on a flatbed trailer
- Product spotlight: Wait for the Wave poster (P051)
- The latest issue of IHSA.ca Magazine is now available
- IHSA announces new Suspended Work Platform System Installers course
- IHSA trains first NCSOs
- IHSA announces Annual General Meeting
IHSA Safety Talk: Tarping loads on a flatbed trailer
Covering a load with tarps and removing them afterwards can be hard work for flatbed truck drivers. A tarp can weigh up to 100 pounds and be difficult to handle, especially if the load you’re covering is bulky or uneven or if the weather is windy, wet, or icy.
IHSA has created a safety talk to help provide information on hazards related to this issue. Read the safety talk on Tarping loads on a flatbed trailer.
Product spotlight: Wait for the Wave (P051)
IHSA has developed a new poster to help prevent struck-by injuries and fatalities when working around moving vehicles and equipment. It encourages workers on the ground to make sure they are seen by the equipment operator by waving their hand and making eye contact. As well, it encourages equipment operators to be aware of any workers who may be in their blind spot or their intended path of travel.
Order a Wait for the Wave poster today.
The latest issue of IHSA.ca Magazine is now available
Issue 17, Volume 1 of IHSA.ca Magazine is now available to download or order. In this issue, you will find the following articles including:
- Safety Talk: Distracted driving
- Spring into spring start-up
- How everyone gains from COR™
- Guideline for Health & Safety Representatives (Pull-out)
- Managing health & safety
- Ministry of Labour blitzes on their way
- Together we can stop falls from killing Ontario workers
- Keep your momentum going with COR™ workshop program.
To read the articles or subscribe to the printed version, visit the IHSA.ca Magazine web page.
IHSA announces new Suspended Work Platform System Installerscourse
IHSA has created a new program for those who have already completed the Suspended Access Equipment—Users program. The new Suspended Work Platform System—Installers program was specifically designed for those who install and inspect suspended work platform systems or boatswain’s chairs.
- provides hands-on training on how to safely install and inspect a suspended work platform
- meets the training requirements described in the updated (2016) Construction Projects regulation (O. Reg. 213/91, s. 138.1(3))
- teaches participants how to assemble and inspect a suspended work platform system in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
Please check the upcoming dates on the Suspended Work Platform System—Installers program page. Space is limited and is filling up quickly.
You can also learn more at the IHSA Suspended Access Equipment topic page.
IHSA’s National Construction Safety Officer Program trains first NCSOs
As of August 1, 2017, 120 external participants have successfully met the training requirements and passed both the provincial and national exams to become Ontario’s first National Construction Safety Officers (NCSOs).
Learn more about the progress of our efforts to improve construction safety through the NCSO program in this communique.
IHSA announces Annual General Meeting
IHSA will hold its Annual General Meeting at 8:45 am on October 4, 2017, at the Centre for Health and Safety Innovation in Mississauga.
Guest speakers will include Christine Plumley and Mark Elias of IHSA to speak about extending IHSA’s reach with the “Keep Your Promise” Campaign and the Kingston Regional Labour-Management Health and Safety Committee Co-Chair(s).
The meeting will feature an overview of the past year by IHSA staff and board members. IHSA will also be presenting several awards from our various award programs.
A keynote speaker will discuss a current safety topic that’s on everyone’s minds. Norm Keith of Fasken Martineau, will present “Clearing the haze of marijuana and other drugs in the workplace.”
To learn more about the event, visit the IHSA AGM web page.
In 2-Minute News you can read the information on your industry in two minutes or less! It’s emailed to subscribers in the middle of each month by the Infrastructure Health & Safety Association.
Infrastructure Health & Safety Association
5110 Creekbank Road, Suite 400, Mississauga, ON L4W 0A1
www.ihsa.ca Follow us on Twitter at @IHSAnews
Interested in subscribing? Click here